Sunday, May 3, 2009

My last clinical experience I would like to share doesn't involve trauma or any interesting images, it is more of a one on one experience with my patient. During the ice storm at the end January, almost every CT we did from the ER was someone on a back board that had fallen due to the slippery ice. I will never forget this one patient that I had during that time. She was a 24 year old female that was on the rescue squad and slid off the fire truck and hit her head while going door to door checking on people. She was on a back board and in a cervical collar, when I got her into the CT room I asked her if there was any chance she could be pregnant due to her age. It was like I let the flood walls down. Tears started streaming all down the sides of her face and she looked so sad, then began to apologize to me for the meltdown. She said that last year when she was only 23 she had to have an emergency hysterectomy and didn't have any children and never would. This broke my heart being a mother myself. She kept apologizing and I tried to comfort her and apologized for bringing up a sore subject but we have to ask. She said she was just scared because of the fall and not remembering much of it due to blacking out after hitting her head then when I asked that question she said she just broke down and couldn't keep from crying. This really hit me because it truely made me feel for my patient. She wasn't just a cspine and brain, I really empathized with her and what she was going through. You never know what a patient's past has been like or what they are going through in their life. It made me step out of my scan mode and brought me to a more personable level while doing my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment