Last week we scanned a 35 year old lineman that was working down here from Minnesota that fell 35 feet from a powerline and a transformer fell on top of him. The ER called us to let us know the ambulance was on the way and the patient would be coming straight to us. It was a scene you have to mentally prepare yourself for, just get the job done, the best imaging possible then deal with what you just saw. The whole left side of his body was crushed, but the left side of his face and head especially was just unrecognizable. We did a full body scan and he went back to the ER. There were so many things going on in the CT head images I was confused on what was what so I had to read the report. Here are a few of the abnormalities from his head CT: depressed left parietal/temporal/frontal skull fracture, petechial hemmorages, hemmorage of cisterna magna, edema, extensive intraventricular hemmoraging, intracranial air, fractures of the medial orbital wall, maxillary, zygomatic arch, and floor of sella turcica, midline shift, and a deviated nasal septum. The radiologist read other things such as blood filled sinuses and other numerous fractures. Like I said there were so many things that were abnormal. The patient also had rib fractures and a punctured lung. The majority of the injuries were in the head, I wish I could get the images on here to go with this because just explaining it really doesn't do justice. Traumas like these are hard to do because you are trying to get the patient done as fast as you can so the doctors can do their job, yet you need take your time so you make sure you don't miss something and get the best images possible. A shunt was placed in the patients brain that night, he was rescanned the next morning while I wasn't there and new things were found on that scan that couldn't be seen in the first. Unfortunately the patient expired the second morning after his accident due to all the head trauma. We get traumas but severe ones like these don't happen all the time thank goodness. It just hit close to home because he was young and was down here helping all of us by working such long hours so we could get power back to our homes.---I FINALLY FIGURED OUT HOW TO ATTACH SOME PICS WITHOUT SHOWING PATIENT INFORMATION SO CHECK THESE OUT. ITS A PICTURE OF A PICTURE SO THE IMAGE IS POOR QUALITY BUT YOU CAN STILL SEE THE ABNORMALITIES.
Saturday, February 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment